cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tnt
Visitor II

Figuring cost basis on money held back for a year after sale of stock

My company that I had stock in was bought by another company in 2016 and I had to sell all of my shares.  In 2016, I received a 1099 form that listed the amount I received which was ~93% of the proceeds.  The other 7% was held in escrow to ensure all closing costs, etc would be covered.  Now a year later (2017) I have received the remainder of the proceeds along with another 1099.  My question is this, in 2016 I figured the cost basis on the total amount we paid per share in 2010.  Should I do the same thing again for this remaining distribution that I received in 2017?  The reason I am asking is that the 2017 amount is less then the initial purchase so it will look like a loss, even though when you look at the sum of both distributions, we gained.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.