turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ZackP9225

Estimated Taxes for Sole Proprietorship?

I know there are two ways to go about estimated tax payments for a sole proprietorship. The quarterly estimated payments through the EFTPS and through federal withholding if employed and running a sole proprietorship. I live and work in the state of Pennsylvania, and I will be doing the tax payments through my employer with the tax withholding.

How much should I withhold for federal taxes per $1,000 yearly income paid weekly?

How much should I withhold for state taxes per $1,000 yearly income paid weekly?

This is a hobby-related online business that allows me to enjoy the expensive aspect of my hobby. So I will be working full time and running the business during evenings and weekends.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Bees
Level 7

Estimated Taxes for Sole Proprietorship?

You will only owe tax on the profit you make on your business , not the sales amount. You have to treat it like a business and not a hobby for this to 'fly' with the IRS. You need to depreciate equipment used according to how much use is personal and how much is how much business use. You can only deduct the supplies used in the sold product. Other amounts are inventory assets or personal supplies.

Any profit will be subject to FICA, ie social security and medicare, at 15.4% and your  income federal and state will be taxed at your marginal rate when combined with your full time job income

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies