Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amy1gene

Ein and taxes

I am a chapter of a larger nonprofit. I was advised to get an EIN number for banking Only so I am able to raise funds directly for my chapter. We are using the larger 501 c3. So when it comes to taxes, how do I file? We will have no income. Just donations. Do I file with my personal taxes? My husband is self employed so I’m not sure how it would affect our taxes. Help.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Ein and taxes

What type of entity did you choose when applying for the EIN?  What type of tax return does the EIN letter say you should be filing for 2018?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Amy1gene

Ein and taxes

Banking only account.

Ein and taxes

The very first screen of the online EIN application makes you choose an entity type...what did you choose?  The type of entity you chose will determine what IRS will be expecting from you. 

Heres the screen   https://irs-ss4-form.com/

If youre a chapter of another larger nonprofit, you really should be speaking with them as to what type of tax filing requirements you might have.  TurboTax doesn't support Non Profit Tax returns, so you may not get much information here.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Amy1gene

Ein and taxes

Submitted as community/ volunteer group as this organization under other types. And reason for requesting ein is for bank account set up
Amy1gene

Ein and taxes

The larger non profit said I need to speak with tax people since they are not able to give tax advice. So I don’t know who to ask. I tried calling some H& R blocks who stay open but no call back
AJ
Level 6

Ein and taxes

I suspect that for what you are trying to do, you should be an affiliate of your parent organization.  Check with the parent organization for their group exemption letter.  See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4573.pdf

Assuming you get your own the EIN and are operating under the parent's charter, you will have some filing requirements based on your level of financial transactions.  You may need to file a Form 990, or a Form 990-EZ.  Most small organizations would use the more simple Form 990-N (e-postcard) if their gross receipts are $50,000 or less.   Your parent organization should normally be assisting you with this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies