Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming Dependent Care Expenses

Hi,

My child is living with her grandmother and going to daycare while my husband and I work. I had put 2500 in my DFSA at open enrollment period.  Can I still put a claim for this amount even though my daughter is in not in the country? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I assume you are asking for your 2017 tax return? If asking for your 2018 return that question can't be answered definitely right now, as the IRS has not released all pubs needed, that reflect the changes to tax law.

First question to answer, since your child is living out of the country, is if she even qualifies as your dependent for tax purposes. Answer that question first by using the IRS tool at https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/whom-may-i-claim-as-a-dependent. For now, just to get an idea (that may be wrong for 2018) assume this is for your 2017 taxes.

In order to claim daycare, the purpose of the the child going to daycare has to be to allow you to work.  If the child does not even live with you, it seems difficult to understand how her attendance at a daycare is necessary in order too allow you to work.

I had to send her in order to work as I have a traveling job. But guess I need to wait for IRS definition to see if they accept this case

thank you for your reply. Yes this for 2018 tax return. I had allocated 2500 at time of open enrollment and they said i cant change the selection now. So I am trying to see what are my options to not loose that money 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies