turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhi3600

Capital Gains Tax

I have had a mutual fund for many years. Each year it seems I am billed for some capital gains. If I sell this fund today, how do I know if I have any additional capital gains on this fund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Capital Gains Tax

There are two entirely different types of capital gains. where mutual funds are concerned. The one you can receive annually is gain that result from the fund manager selling stocks within the portfolio.  Those gains are paid out to you annually and do not affect your cost basis in the fund.

The second type is the capital gain you can realize when you sell the fund shares.  That gain is determined by the difference between the price at which you purchased your fund shares and  the price of the fund shares when you sell.

Capital Gains Tax

You should ask your brokerage what kind of capital gains youre looking at if you sell....they should be able to tell you.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
AJ
Level 6

Capital Gains Tax

Comment from Stinkerbellkity appears to be correct.  I will only add that because you say that you held the fund for over a year, then any gain should be a long-term gain.  Your brokerage should give you a 1099-B indicating your sale as long term.  In addition, your 1099-B will indicate whether the basis was reported, or was not reported, to the IRS.  The information on your 1099-B will be used in Form 8949 and Schedule D.  TurboTax will guide you through the process and complete the forms for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies