turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TG
Level 1

Calculating NOL carryover

I had a NOL from the sale of a rental property in 2017.  Turbo Tax reported the loss for that year, which resulted in a negative amount of income for 2017.  Was it all used for that year or is there a way to use a portion of it for 2018 taxes?  Turbo Tax doesn't seem to compute any carryover.  I've attempted to use worksheet 2 of publication 536, but after filling it out I'm left with an amount on line 10 that only adds to my income instead of utilizing a carry forward loss.......very confusing!  Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

First, use Pub 536 for 2017 and use Sch A for Form 1045 to determine if there is an NOL for 2017.  Even though your 2017 return might have shown negative income, there may not have been an NOL after adjustments have been made.  If after completing Sch A (or equivalent) and there is an NOL, that would be carried back/over and subject to the rules of the carry back/forward year's rules.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p536--2017.pdf

If you did have an NOL for 2017, if you did not waive the carryback on your 2017 1040, then you must carryback to 2015, any NOL before you can carry it forward to 2018.  Pub 536 (2017, page 4). 

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

First, use Pub 536 for 2017 and use Sch A for Form 1045 to determine if there is an NOL for 2017.  Even though your 2017 return might have shown negative income, there may not have been an NOL after adjustments have been made.  If after completing Sch A (or equivalent) and there is an NOL, that would be carried back/over and subject to the rules of the carry back/forward year's rules.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p536--2017.pdf

If you did have an NOL for 2017, if you did not waive the carryback on your 2017 1040, then you must carryback to 2015, any NOL before you can carry it forward to 2018.  Pub 536 (2017, page 4). 

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
TG
Level 1

Thank you!  I was using the wrong year of Pub 536. It all came together after using the 2017 worksheet instead of the ones for 2018.

DStrakis

How do I elect to carryover a current year NOL?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Frequently asked questions about carrybacks of NOLs  has instructions and fax information depending on your particular situation.

@DStrakis

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies