turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

College Band Expenses

My daughter twirls the baton for her college band.  Can I deduct the cost of her costumes, batons, shoes, and tights as "materials" for college?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

College Band Expenses

I don't have a definitive answer.  It might depend on what educational benefit you're trying to obtain.  There are different expenses for different credits/deductions.

I think one thing needs to be kept in mind...is this course required for her course of study?

Here is a link for some guidance in this area.  Look at the different expenses allowed for each type of credit/deduction.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

College Band Expenses

I don't have a definitive answer.  It might depend on what educational benefit you're trying to obtain.  There are different expenses for different credits/deductions.

I think one thing needs to be kept in mind...is this course required for her course of study?

Here is a link for some guidance in this area.  Look at the different expenses allowed for each type of credit/deduction.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

College Band Expenses

Unless you can tie this to a requirement for her course of study, you can't treat as eligible education expenses. Participation in band sounds like an extracurricular activity to me.

College Band Expenses

THANK YOU!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies