turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Silver investment?

Is buying silver bullion a good investment? The cost of silver is rather low right now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Silver investment?

In my very, very limited experience with silver/gold, the price of silver is always about 80% less than gold. But silver prices ups and downs seem to flow right along side the ups and downs of gold prices. So I watch the gold prices and base the buy/sell of silver on that.  Doesn't make me rich. But it does help the gains outweigh the losses.

Silver investment?

Silver has more industrial applications than any other commodity except crude oil.  It is an excellent conductor of electricity and is heavily used in solar panels and computer related devices.

Therefore, silver has a very bright future indeed, and is therefore a excellent long term investment opportunity especially at today's historically low prices.

However, due to silver's price volatility, one should probably not commit more than 5-10%  of investable funds to it.

One of the best ways to invest in silver is pre 1965 dimes, quarters, and half dollars which can be purchased at a local coin shop or an online retailer such as apmex.com.

Silver investment?

I like to buy some silver bullion from pawnshops here and there when I can or grab some bars from Ebay if you find a right price. A well diversified portfolio consists of paper stocks, real estate, and commodities.

Silver investment?

I concur with your asset allocation philosophy, but I would be careful about buying silver bars on ebay,

Are you sure that metal bar you purchase from ebay is real silver?

I suggest pre 1965 (1964 and previous years) silver dimes. quarters and half dollars which are guaranteed 90% silver.  

Wishing you the best of good buys,

Marketstar

Silver investment?

I would rather buy dividend stocks in a dividend reinvestment plan.  That being said, I plan on buying a silver bar or 2 for the grandkids birthdays !!!!

Silver investment?

Great idea, but remember, investing does not have to be an “either/or” proposition, nor should it.
Proper asset allocation includes stocks for growth (and dividend income), bonds for income, and precious metals/commodities for wealth preservation.
Good luck,
Marketstar

Silver investment?

It doesn't hurt to have some spare physical finances. Just keep the bullions for rainy days and only sell should you be in a really dire state. Take it as a stash investment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies