Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Product Key for TurboTax purchased at Costco

Hello,

Before opening the DVD of TurboTax Premier that I bought at Costco, I noticed that it said a CD/DVD is required. However, my laptop, and many current laptops, don't include a DVD drive any more. How do I get a product key for TurboTax Premier, if I've already bought the DVD?

Thanks,

Dave

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Your choices are:

- Returned the unopened package for a refund at the place you purchased it from. Then purchase and download the CD version installation file at https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ or the website of any other authorized reseller of the program that offers an online download if the CD installation program.

- Find any computer that has a CD drive on it and copy the contents of the CD to a USB thumb drive or flash drive. Then you can install the program on your computer from that USB device.

DT2018

You can call Turbo Tax customer service and they will have you give them info from your purchased CD and send you the download. I've been doing this for years and it's easy and works fine. 

DT2018

Not necessary. You can call Turbo Tax and they will send you the download. I've done this for years. Super easy. 

willabb1
Returning Member

Can not download

45w

Hello my experience was not so smooth trying to get my product code for my Costco CD. In fact I stopped part way in the process, because I was so frustrated.  In years past, the Costco box had the product code number for me to do the download myself without having to call - but this year there was no product code so I followed the steps on the Turbo Tax website to get a phone number to call with the idea that the download link would be pushed to me instead.  The woman on the phone was pleasant enough, but the process was so painful. She started out by asking lots of information to verify my purchase - naturally my personal information to start. (I should add that it sounded like the woman was fielding questions from her home which made me a little uneasy, but I kept looking at the link I used to obtain the phone number and it appeared to be the legitimate Turbo tax website so I just went with it.) Had to repeat my info a couple of different times, because I think she was maybe toggling between screens on her end. Then she had to obtain the product information- very painful process - had to read her the numbers on the back of the box - and there are four different strings of numbers and it was a little bit of trial and error for her to get the right ones for her end.  The question I loved was when she asked me - now read me everything on your box.  Um - ok. I know she was trying to determine what version I had - so I just went with that as well and told her my version and that seemed to satisfy her. By this point my experience is seriously degrading - I had been on the phone for maybe 20 minutes to get a download.  I thought I would be done once I provided all of information but then she asked for my credit card number that I used to purchase the item and that sort of sent me over the edge. Up until that point I was already thinking to myself - am I giving all my personal information to a scam network, because this process is so incredibly clunky and unprofessional. So when she asked for my credit card info I said I didn't feel comfortable anymore and stopped the process.  I recognize now that I was probably talking to the TurboTax company with the follow up email they sent, but I am just so annoyed by this experience - so much so that I am considering not using them for next year.   So here I am with no download, still. I'm going to have to just deal and go through the process again.  Well - maybe I'll make my husband do it this time! Anyway - I'm jealous to hear it's an easy process for others - this was not my experience at all.

It's a nightmare.  They are not sending the download via email.  Been waiting all day and tried again to no avail.   It is NOT going into my junk, etc. boxes.   Then I called and talked to a person and was on hold a long time, she stated she's calling me back.    This is ridiculous.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies