Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rxc
Level 2

Concern about recent email from TurboTax

I just received an email from TurboTax yesterday, and it concerns me immensely.  It relates to "Information regarding your 2016 tax return", and was sent to my mother, who is no longer with us.  I used to do her taxes and I used my email address as the point of contact for information regarding e-filing her returns.

The email asks whether I want to re-review her 2016 return to claim state sales taxes.  The links that are provided all start with Intuit.com, but it is very difficult to trace long links that may have nasty code embedded within them.

My concerns are two -

(1) Is this a legitimate email?  Or is it a phishing attempt? 

(2) If it is legitimate, then why is TurboTax concerned about something that may or may not be on my mother's tax return?  Does Turbotax actually look at the internal details of the returns that are transmitted to the IRS and does it "harvest" specific information from those returns?  If this is true, then I am very concerned about using TurboTax.  Who, at Intuit, is looking at my tax returns to see what they can harvest from them?  When did I give Intuit permission to actually inspect the contents of my tax returns, beyond the information that is needed to file it electronically?

Can anyone explain to me why I received this email?  I cannot think of a good reason for it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Sounds like phishing to me. The URL should be Intuit.com and not have a lot of numbers and letters that follow. This is the way phishers can use the legitimate part of a web address and get away with it.

I used my email to prepare my sons taxes and it brings up my taxes when we used my husbands to do our taxes and I was almost done with his taxes just had to put ss# in for his kids and deceased wife.

rxc
Level 2

Thanks.  I understand that TT might do marketing to my mother via my email address, because I used to use my email address to do her taxes.  What worries me is that they are asking about a specific deduction item in the tax return, and suggesting that I re-visit the tax return to reconsider my decision about how I entered the value.  This implies that Intuit actually looks at the values on each line in all tax returns, and then targets individuals for some sort of action, depending on the entry.

I suppose that this might be valuable, if Intuit finds an error in the program and wants to let people know about it, but there is no mention of errors here, and in any case, why are they looking at my personal tax information - the entries on individual lines in the tax return?  This is my concern.

No one at Intuit seems to be interested in this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies