Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

west

wrong 2016 taxes

I used Turbo Tax to file 2016 taxes for both my mother and myself and we both received letters from the IRS.  According to the IRS we only filed one income for my mother (I entered 2) and for my taxes they stated that I input the incorrect amount--subsequently the same amount on my 2015 w2.  We both had to pay a huge bill because of this!!  I find it curious it is the same error on both letters.  I attempted to contact Turbo Tax but their "call you back" window stated they would call in 5 minutes, after 30 I redid the request and it advised 20 minutes.  I am still waiting.  Is there any other way to contact them??  The reason I used Turbo was for the support they supposedly provide.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

wrong 2016 taxes

Did you use the online version of TurboTax 2016 to prepare and file your returns prior to Oct 15, 2017? I will assume you did.

When using the online version of TurboTax, one account, one return. That's it. But you can create up to 5 accounts per e-mail address.

If you created a 2nd return on the same account used to complete and file the first return, then the first return was overwritten and there is no possible way to recover it. It's just gone forever.

Upon completing a tax return, in order to e-file it with the IRS you must click the big orange TRANSMIT MY RETURNS NOW button. Only the tax filer can click that button. Absolutely nobody else has access to your account, so there's no way anyone but the tax filer can click that button.

Once you click the big orange TRANSMIT MY RETURNS NOW button, you're committed to the e-file process and there is no way to back out. Approximately 15-20 minutes after transmitting your return you will receive an e-mail informing you that the return was "successfully transmitted" to the IRS. That does not mean the IRS received it, or accepted it.

After receiving that first e-mail, the 2nd e-mail will arrive anywhere from 15 minutes to 48 hours later informing you if the IRS accepted your return, or rejected your return. If the return was rejected, you follow the guidance in the e-mail to fix the rejection reason, then click the big orange TRANSMIT MY RETURNS NOW button again.

When you received the e-mail informing you that the IRS has accepted your return as e-filed, you're basically done. TurboTax has completed their obligation to the tax filer which the tax filer paid for.

According to the IRS we only filed one income for my mother (I entered 2)

Entered two what? Each tax filer reports all income from all sources on one tax return. So if you had two W-2's for your mother and completed a separate tax return for each W-2, that was wrong. Only one of them was e-filed. Once an e-filed return is accepted by the IRS, any attempt to file another tax return with the same tax payer social security number on it will be rejected by the IRS.

for my taxes they stated that I input the incorrect amount--subsequently the same amount on my 2015 w2

That's on you unfortunately. Only the account owner can input their data. Now if you elected to import your W-2 from some online source (such as ADP Payroll Services) then it's still on you because it's your responsibility to check and confirm the accuracy of imported data from a third party.

As it stands now, it looks like all you need to do is pay the bill due to the IRS and press on. If this was for a 2017 return, you would need to file an amended return. But since it's for 2016 there's no need to file an amended 2016 return unless the IRS specifically and explicitly said they want an amended 2016 return, in the letter they sent you.

wrong 2016 taxes

Thee are not the same errors at all.  Did you use two different accounts to file the returns?  What types of income did you think you entered for your mother's return and what income actually shows on her tax return?  For yours, it sounds like you entered the 2015 W-2 again.  The program does not carry over the amount for the W-2 on that screen where you enter it.  The employer and employee info may be the same, but the amounts must be filled in again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies