Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: moved from MD to FL midway through the year - how do I seperate mortgage interest and property taxes between the states?

Hello,

We moved from MD to FL midway through the year.   We sold our house in MD and purchased a new one in FL, and therefore had 2 mortgages in 2018.   When using the TurboTax application, I enter in the information for my FL mortgage (Mortgage interest, property taxes, etc), but it starts adding to the refund for MD, which shouldn't be the case.

My question is:  when entering in the Mortgage data (in deductions), how can I distinguish the fact that one home was in MD and one was in FL? 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: moved from MD to FL midway through the year - how do I seperate mortgage interest and property taxes between the states?

Enter them both together on the federal side, as you were doing.  Then, in the MD state section, you will adjust out the amount. Make sure that you mark in the Person Info section that you live in two states.  You will file as a Part-Year Resident for MD, then you will be prompted as you go through that section for the MD adjustments to income and expenses.  Florida has no state income tax, so if a FL return in generated, you can just delete it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Karen.

Thank you for your reply.  While I understand what you are saying and it makes complete sense, I do not see how to properly adjust out the 'mortgage interest and property tax' using the TurboTax application.   When using the application, I am prompted to adjust the income earned between MD and FL, but I am not prompted, nor see how, to separate the mortgage interest and property tax.

Can you clarify exactly how I can record this through the application?

mjwmba

i moved from mo to tx during last year.  but all of 2019 income is going to mo.  it should only be like 40%.  i changed the fiscal year didn't help

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Since TX doesn't have a state income tax, MO is the only state on your W2. 

1.  First be sure in "My Info" you have made TX your resident state and indicated when you moved from MO. 

2.  Once you have verified that information. 

3.  Go to your state interview and edit MO. 

4.  On the summary page select "Update" for the "Adjustments" section. 

5.  Go through that interview and you will get to the pages to allocate income to MO. 

You can divide by months or days.  If you use months, divide the total income by 12 and multiply by the number of months in MO. 

If by days, divide by 365 and multiply by the number of days in MO.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies