turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to correct Turbo Tax error in updating the form CA (540NR) of my 2017 state retrun?

I believe Turbo Tax has NOT update correctly  my 2017 CA (540NR)  form Part II, in my state tax. 

More specifically, in Part II line 7, although it shows correctly in column C my 2017 HSA contirbution amount as an addition, it includes it in column D, it does NOT include it in column E. 

Also, in Part II line 27,  it shows a $28 deductible self-employment tax that does not exist anymore (it was an error of an earlier version of my return which allowed for such $28 credit in my federal but has been since corrected).  

As a result of the 2 errors described above, I fear  my CA Taxable income is  under calculated by these two amounts.   How can I correct this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
GabiU
Level 15

how to correct Turbo Tax error in updating the form CA (540NR) of my 2017 state retrun?

Are you in TurboTax Desktop? If so, are you able to edit these in forms mode? 

I would like to take a deeper look at this however, I need a diagnostic (this is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed). You can send one to us by following the directions below:

1. Click into your return.
  2. Click Online and select "Send Tax File to Agent".
  3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK, the tax file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
  4. Please provide the Token Number that was generated onto a response to this email.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi. Thx a lot (and excuse my delayed response due to traveling last week). 

Per your request, I just generated  a message that a diagnostic copy with TOKEN NUMBER 478955.   Please note that the issue is still there, I double checked today, after updating my income, and running once again my state return! Specifically, my CA 540NR part II lines 27 and may be 7 appear to have been stuck on any earlier info and not reflect my current status.  please advise on any way i we can fix this. 

Else, please advise asap on "How can I edit these in forms mode? 

Thx again!

GabiU
Level 15

Thank you. I'll be taking a look at this.

Thx too!   When should I expect an update?  

or, would it may be better to correct this manually by editing these in forms mode?   if so, advise asap on How can I edit these in forms mode? 

Because i will be traveling again soon. i am hoping to correct this asap, and file my taxes right after it (as this is the only pending item now).  Thx again! 

GabiU
Level 15

HI LP1968., 

I've reviewed your file and see the spots you're speaking of. I am not authorized to inform you whether or not you should be manually entering these values when and where. Please reach out to a Tax Advisor so they can guide you step-by-step. Here's where you can get connected: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/ 

I hope this helps! 

Gabi 

Hi. Thx a lot!  FYI - I've already spoken to a tax adviser and know that these values need to be updated (because they are leftover from information in my Federal return back in March that I have since then updated, but the update was never reflected to my current CA540NR).   My hope has been that this was a software bug that we can fix now. if not possible through the software, then: 

please let me know how I can manually edit these forms on Turbotax desktop?  I know exactly what to enter, I just want to know how to enter it. 

Please advise asap.  Thx!!

Gabi - would you be able to advise on my last question: "please let me know how I can manually edit these forms on Turbotax desktop?  I know exactly what to enter, I just want to know how to enter it."  

Thx again!  

GabiU
Level 15

On the Top Left hand corner of your TurboTax Desktop, if you click "Forms" you'll be able to view your forms. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies