turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

double taxed!! Help!

I was paid by a legal firm to do a lawsuit review, but my current employer required me to give them (my employer) the money, then they paid me (minus taxes) in my next paycheck.  So I have a 1099-MISC for $2800, and TurboTax is calculating that I owe tax on that, but I wrote a check to my work for $2800 and they withheld taxes and I got a net of about $1600.  So how do I avoid paying double tax on TurboTax??

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

double taxed!! Help!

Well you need to report the 1099-MISC as it is reported because the IRS also receives a copy.

Enter in TurboTax in two steps:

First, enter the 1099-MISC for the $2800 in the Less Common Income section, Miscellaneous income, Other Reportable Income. Enter a description along the lines of 'lawsuit review' and the amount.

Second, repeat the steps but for the amount, enter as a negative number and a description like 'lawsuit review amounts included in W-2 income'. In effect, you have cancelled the income amount. The two entries will show on line 21 of your 1040, but a taxable amount of zero.

Keep the 1099-MISC forms and other documentation that you have regarding the payment to your employer for your records should you need to explain.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies