Why did TT use the Standard Deduction with my deductions exceeded that?

Upon completion of our turns, TT tells me that my wife and I had $26,900 in deductions, yet TT used the Standard Deduction (and I'm not sure I could even over-ride that). Odd. 

It's probably no big deal because it was close (and is the first year we've never itemized - due to the limits on State and Local taxes at $10K).

Still, why would it do this?

2 Comments

Difficult to say without seeing the particulars of your return, but sounds like your itemized deductions were limited in some way.  If you have not yet filed, you can change to itemize deductions, but TurboTax autoselects the most advantageous of the two. See instructions below if you wish to change and have not filed yet.

Changing to itemized deductions

Thank you. I might try that just to see.

Funny, though, that TT listed my deductions as about $27K (so I should have been over even by its own calculation), but maybe I'm missing something. Probably won't really matter.