turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zliu48

W2 and 1042S for J-1 resident

I'm J-1 scholar from China and came to the US around Sep 2014. I want to do the tax return for 2017 as the resident alien, but I have received both W2 and 1042S forms. The income code of 1042S is 19 and the gross income is much higher than $5000, but all the tax withholding are 0, so how should I use the TurboTax doing the tax return for the 1042S form and tax treaty of $5000?    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

W2 and 1042S for J-1 resident

This is from another but related topic

You can still apply the tax treaty to your tax return with our software, you will just enter it differently than the normal way.  In the TurboTax program, report your full income usual. Then you can enter the treaty-exempt amount as negative income under "Less common income".  You will have to file a Form 8833 to claim an exception. As TurboTax does not support Form 8833, you cannot e-file.  Instead, you may use the program to prepare your return, but need to print out your tax forms and mail the returns along with the form 8833.   Besides the Form 8833 and 1040, you will also need to submit a copy of your tax documents ( for example, W-2 /Form 1099s) which pertain to any credits and deductions you are applying if there are any. 

1.  For example, if you receive a Form W-2, to report wages:

- Sign into your account and select Take me to my return

- At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in W-2 and Enter 

- Select Jump to w-2, follow prompts to enter your information

2.  Enter the treaty-exempt amount as negative amount (-5000) under  Federal Taxes / Less Common Income                           / Miscellaneous Income 1099A, 1099C / Other Reportable Income

3.  File a Form 8833 from IRS to claim an exception.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8833.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies