Visitor II

Vehicle Expense Deduction - Are these miles eligible?

Hi,

For one of my jobs, I work for a company as a retail price data collector. I get a W-2, but do not have a home location. Instead, I drive from my house to various job sites during the week. I get reimbursed for mileage (but that reimbursement is taxed as part of my income). I also do not get paid for the first 30 miles of each day, and I'm only reimbursed 30 cents per mile.

Can I claim any of this as a vehicle expense deduction? If so, can I claim all miles that I drove for this job at the standard mileage rate?

In addition, I started this job in 2016 but did not claim any miles as a vehicle expense deduction at that time (I thought this driving just counted as a commute). I'd like to go back and amend that return to take this deduction, if that would be allowed! However, if it is, would I need to amend last year's return before I can file this year's?

This is so confusing and any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.