turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlw

Upgrade from Freedom Edition

All our information is entered after following the start here button, and we're prompted to upgrade: "Choose TaxFreedom.com to select a TurboTax Value Added Offer to best support your tax situation. After you sign in with a new product, we’ll transfer all your information and you can continue your return right where you left off. "

Any place we log in to turbo tax, it just brings us back to the freedom edition and prompts us yet again to go choose a value added offer.  What selections should we make that allow us to upgrade the product and have information transferred as promised?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies
SuziM

Hi jlw,

Here are the steps to upgrade your account:

You can upgrade or switch to a higher version of TurboTax after you've started your 2017 return.

1. Select Upgrade in the menu. (If you don’t see this menu on the left, select Take me to my return to get to it or try the menu icon in the upper-left corner if your screen/window is too small.)
  2. Then, select the version you'd like to upgrade to.
  3. Before you can print or e-file, we'll prompt you to enter your payment information. You can also prepay at any time by doing this:
    1. Go to File in the left-hand menu and continue until you get to Review your order, then select Start or Revisit.
    2. Keep going until you see How would you like to pay for TurboTax? On that screen, select Pay with your credit card.
    3. Enter your credit card information and then select Pay Now.
    4. Sign out and then sign back in to access your prior-year return or other upgrade features.

I hope this helps!

asdifj

There's no Upgrade button. I saw another answer to "clear & start over" and I did that. Then I filled out my "My Info" again, but there's still no Upgrade button.

navygatr1

I guess 4 months later, they haven't fixed this. Wish I had known this sooner!

Falafel

I am stuck in 'Freedom Edition' and cannot upgrade....no upgrade button appears.

@navygatr1 wrote:

I guess 4 months later, they haven't fixed this. Wish I had known this sooner!

kelo

same for me! No upgrade button. it's driving me nuts. Did anyone resolve?

GabiU
Level 15

Hi everyone! Thanks for reaching out. I understand that this can be frustrating. 

What helped me get out of Freedom Edition was to clear the cache and cookies in my browser and then signed into another product online.

I hope this helps! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kevinhj
Returning Member

Is it possible to do a manual upload of a saved in-progress Turbo Tax Freedom data return file into a paid version of Turbo Tax Deluxe?  

kevinhj
Returning Member

Is it possible to do a manual upload of a saved in-progress Turbo Tax Freedom data return file into a paid version of Turbo Tax Deluxe?  

GabiU
Level 15

You should be able to sign into TurboTax after selecting Deluxe with the same account info and see your Freedom data. Have you cleared cache and cookies in your browser to try it? 

jk050980

This still doesn't work. Cleared and started over, cleared browser cache and cookies, tried to click on Deluxe and sign in with the hope it will work, but no dice. Back to Freedom Edition.

REally at my wit's end - so poorly designed and nobody has clue how to fix it. If you guys cannot resolve this asap, I'm done with Turbo Tax. So **bleep** frustrating!

GabiU
Level 15

I hear you & understand how frustrating this can be. Let me do some research and I'll get back to you. 

GabiU
Level 15

I've tested it myself and talked to the product quality team and unfortunately you will have to start over in the Deluxe product. There are no upgrades in the Freedom Edition for the convience of the user, however it's inconvienent for those that do want to try other products. I hope this clears up any confusion. 

When I try to purchase the Deluxe version in order to start over in Deluxe from Freedom, it keeps taking me back to Freedom. How do I get to Deluxe to start over?

GabiU
Level 15

You'll have to create a different username and password. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies