turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

newbie2018
Returning Member

Unable to get download after CD purchase

I purchased TurboTax for the first time ever today, then realized that my new laptop doesn't have a CD drive.  Intuit's website appears to have a simple option to register, then follow a contact us link to have a customer service rep push a download to your account.  I followed the instructions exactly, and when I call the number provided through contact us, I go into menu hell where I never hear an option for getting a download pushed to me.  Of course, when you try to push zero, you are not allowed to talk to anyone, just more automated questions.  As a rule, I don't trust companies that forcefully keep you from talking to people, since it usually means they couldn't care less about their customers.  I really have no desire to work with this company again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
GinaG
Intuit Alumni

Hi newbie2018,

Watch for an email from us with further instructions.  I apologize for the difficulties you have encountered while trying to get a download pushed to you.  We certainly don't want to lose you as a customer, so I would like to assist you in resolving the problem.  Our goal has always been to make the process of filing your taxes easier, not more problematic.  Many new computers have no CD slot, and we are working on a streamlined solution for those who need the download instead.  Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

howardc10
Returning Member

I had the exact same experience as the previous poster, and I have been on hold OVER AN HOUR.  I am not a Newbie, I have been using Turbotax for over 20 years, someone got me the CD while forgetting I don't have the drive anymore.  Your HELP DESK instructions on this subject are absolutely pathetic.  And a waste of my valuable time.  Time to find a new tax service who can figure out how to respond to a very simple question.  So.....push me the program NOW or lose a longstanding customer.  Plus, get some real bad publicity about this  

@GinaG wrote:

Hi newbie2018,

Watch for an email from us with further instructions.  I apologize for the difficulties you have encountered while trying to get a download pushed to you.  We certainly don't want to lose you as a customer, so I would like to assist you in resolving the problem.  Our goal has always been to make the process of filing your taxes easier, not more problematic.  Many new computers have no CD slot, and we are working on a streamlined solution for those who need the download instead.  Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

GriffithN

I'm having a similar issue where I tell the robot that I don't have a CD drive, it gives me a key, but when I put it into the web page it doesn't actually start the download. Of course the key is one time use and doesn't link to your account or anything so I can't even try again. 

sdebeling

I have the exact same problem:  purchased a CD without having a drive in my new PC.  I entered the record number and download code, which I've had sent to me twice now because I thought I made a mistake, and nothing happens.  It won't download.  I've been using TurboTax many years as well and have now been on hold longer than I care to be!  Please help!

GinaG
Intuit Alumni

@sdebeling Have you been able to download the product successfully?

rjd

I am having the exact same problem.  Received record no and download code but download never started.  Went thru process again and they sent me same information and obviously that won't work because it is saying number has been claimed. What are my options now?

sdebeling

Yes, thank you.  I called and finally got through to someone.  

GinaG
Intuit Alumni

I'm so glad you were able to get through!  Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have additional questions.

nataliepauline10
Returning Member

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS. WHAT DID THEY TELL YOU TO DO?

GinaG
Intuit Alumni

Hi there @nataliepauline10 !  I will reach out to you directly, so watch for an email from us.

I have tried multiple times via your automated system to download the turbo tax as my new laptop does not have a CD.  This is an awful system with no option for person to person answers.

@SUZANNE GIANNARIS wrote:

I have tried multiple times via your automated system to download the turbo tax as my new laptop does not have a CD.  This is an awful system with no option for person to person answers.

Did you follow the procedure as shown in this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies