turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to file taxes through Turbo Tax if US Bank Issued Credit card has foreign address

I moved out of the US back to my country in Dec 2018. I was trying to file my returns for 2018 through Turbo Tax. Everything went through fine, but when I reached the payment page, I wasn't able to do both the options available. 

My deduction from Federal Returns weren't accepted because I gave a foreign address. My Credit Card didn't go through since the address on the card was corrected to my address outside of US and there is no way I can enter an address outside of US.

I do see a deduction of the fees from the credit card though. 

Please let me know how I can proceed with filing returns. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Unable to file taxes through Turbo Tax if US Bank Issued Credit card has foreign address

Unfortunately, TurboTax will not accept payment from a Credit Card with a foreign address. One solution would be to purchase a CD version of TurboTax and install it on your computer. You could then save the .tax file that you have created on TurboTax Online, and open it in the software you have purchased. See this FAQ for how to do that. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello IsabellaG,

Your link >  "See this FAQ"  seems to be broken ! 

Can you provide detail of how to do that ? 

1.  After you buy CD or download version ?  (I always need to use Premier version for 1099-B.)

2.  How to efile & how to make payment ?   (Or, do I have to file by postal mail only ?) 

(I mean, I have US bank issued credit or debit card, but foreign address.) 

Thanks, 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Here is what that link says:

How do I switch from TurboTax Online to the TurboTax software?

If you started your 2019 return in TurboTax Online and want to switch to the TurboTax software, here's how.

1. Save your online return as a tax data file.
  2. Sign out of TurboTax Online.
  3. Install your 2019 TurboTax software.
    • If you have not purchased TurboTax Desktop software, select the product you need to complete your return.
    • Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s), otherwise you'll get Error 539.
  4. Once installed, choose File then Open Tax Return in the software.
  5. Browse to where you saved your .tax2019 file, select it, and then select Open.
  6. If you get an error, delete your tax data file and repeat these steps from the beginning.
  7. Optional: Once you've confirmed that your online return opens properly in the software, you can clear your online return.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies