Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

almat21
Returning Member

Turbotax business 2018 not updating

I am having trouble with TurboTax Business 2018 - it gets a 404 error when I try to check for updates. Is anyone else having this same issue and, if so, how was it fixed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I have the same problem, with the same error message.  Has anyone come across a solution.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled with a newly downloaded copy of the software.

I can't work past the error message:  "Could not connect to the update site.  Error 404" on trying to update TurboTax Business.  See pic of the error below.  I have spent considerable time on this.  Apparently, the problem emanates from late availability of various State forms and TurboTax's inappropriate characterization (verbal description) of the error and unavailability.  If you click "Don't Try Again" and go past the "problem", the software works fine.  I don't, however, know if the Federal forms are updating.  TurboTax is now aware of the problem, and those of us filing LP, LLC and fiduciary returns will need to wait until they work out the kinks.  Good luck to everyone.

Annotation 2019-02-17 143909.png

bigbob1
Returning Member

i am still having the same issue.  Not fixed.  I have purchased  business through intuit and i redownloaded and still have same problem.

WHEN WILL THEY FIX THIS.  

I should have updated my "knowledge" of this situation.  I apologize.  I spent a couple of hours on the phone with TurboTax last weekend.  They are finally aware of the problem, but do not expect it to be fixed until they get final form releases of some of the missing states, such as New York (March 1st?).  The error message we are getting is a default message that doesn't address the real problem.  This will not be resolved for a couple of weeks.  Of course, I am not 100% confident that it will ever be resolved, but I filed one business return without proper updates (Not domiciled in New York State).  Any mistakes that I have made as a result will be immaterial in this case.  I am waiting, impatiently, for New York to release their final forms.  After that, I hope the problem will be fully addressed.

Luke

Well, it's 2/24/19 and I'm still encountering the same problem. I'll give it another few weeks and then give H&R Block's version a try.  If anyone's been successful, please post. FWIW, I'm using Windows 7 Professional and tried (unsuccessfully) what others have suggested like disabling the following path: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Use Proxy server...  For me it already was de-selected.

Should I be surprised Intuit hasn't been more public about this issue?

JimH

I was getting error code 404 but now getting error code 500 after the tech support asked me to make some setting changes. On the phone with tech support for 2 hours and nothing worked. Even tried downloading a version that they pushed down to my account. Now their level 3 support is researching.
Ewing

After my TurboTax Business for 2018 updated, it crashed.  Then I received this:  "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.  Please give us a moment as we get things ready ..."  I've waited and waited.  I've re-opened twice.  Nothing.  Same error message every time.  I've got to file these tax returns soon.  What is TurboTax doing about this?????    

Nothing is being done.  TurboTax Business is a disaster this year.  I have had problems since February.  You must click through, prepare your tax returns and file them via paper.  I am quite disappointed but I tried to help Intuit recognize this issue and fix it, but ran out of time and patience.  I will try again next year.  Thereafter, if disappointed again, I will change vendors after 15 or 20 years.

Ewing

I solved the problem on my own.  I didn't have enough free space on my computer.  I uninstalled some unwanted applications and moved my TurboTax file to a thumb drive.  After I did that, TurboTax Business 2018 started working again.

SuzanneP

Well, it's now Sept 2019 and I just spent 1.5 hours on the phone with TurboTax.  Their solution?  Try it on a different computer.  I cannot express my disappointment with this answer.  I am unable to file my New Jersey S Corp return as the error has caused a glitch with the 2553 S Corp Form.  The rep kept telling me I was inputting the info wrong.  About the 4th time I explained/showed what the program was doing, she got it.  No resolution so I guess I'm S.O.L.

StuartF
Returning Member

I just loaded the DVD for TurboTax Home & Business 2021 on my Windows 10 PC.  But when I attempted to start the program, I immediately got the 404 error code.  As such, I was barely able to start the program.  I reported the problem to TurboTax Support on 3/14 Monday and was told its tech has been working on this problem.  The problem is supposed to have something to do with the state returns.  Can someone share some insights on this problem?  

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Which state are you filing in?

@StuartF

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies