turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daveiskul

TurboTax including income from W2 from Short-Term Disability Insurance Company as taxable income when it should not

I was told that our short-term disability payments are not taxable. I received a W2 form from the 3rd party insurance company that my company uses for our short-term disability plan. The federal income tax withheld (box 2) has no value, which seems to confirm this statement. Also, the "Third-party sick pay" box is checked in box 13 of the W2. However, TurboTax is still including this as taxable income.

I saw another post indicating that code "J" should be in box 12 of the W2 with the non-taxable amount, but this was not the case on my W2 form. Is there something I am missing here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TurboTax including income from W2 from Short-Term Disability Insurance Company as taxable income when it should not

Unless you pay the premium , the claim payments are taxable.... since many times the short term payments are employer benefits, they would be taxable

Many do not withhold taxes so to maximize cash flow while you are out sick

PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Is third-party sick pay taxable?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies