turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TurboTax Deluxe 2018 crashes constantly on Windows 10

I am a long-time user of TurboTaX.  There have been minot issues in the past, but this year the software seems to be junk.  I have to give a wrong answer to my spouse's healthcare coverage as a workaround to a bug in the software.  That is scary to me.   Then, it just keeps crashing and closing.  This happens about every three to five minutes.  I have disabled anti-virus (which you should never have to do), tried running as Admin, etc.   Nothing seems to help.   It tries to recover the file, but it is daunting trying to figure out if it saved your latest inputs or not, and wondering if you are going to end up filing an incorrect return.   I'm so disgusted with it that I may finally make the effort to switch.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies
jjgilmor

EXACT SAME ISSUE !! ARGHHH!

This software is a POS.  TurboTax Deluxe 2018 on Windows 10 Pro Version 1703  OS Build:  15063.1387

Hopefully someone at TurboTax actually reads these posts and gets a fix out pronto.  If enough of us call and complain to our Congress representatives, a Lawsuit / Refund will happen.

This software is UNUSABLE and preventing me from filing my taxes in a timely manner.

Use TurboTax for MANY YEARS and NEVER had the software this POOR.  Someone should be fired and refunds (from TurboTax) should go out.

FRUSTRATING !!!

I'm in the exact same place.  This has crashed at least 8 times in 2 hours.  I have rebooted, etc. and there is no impact on stability.

First they mess with the different features for versions that have been the same for years, now the stability has gone to hell.  What is happening over there!?!

Same issue! I thought it was my pc. Not good.

same here

I am now having the same problem - it now crashes whenever I try to switch to forms.  May be time to switch to TaxAct.

When folks say it crashes, does it really crash or just sleep?  I have found that I do not get kicked out, it just goes to sleep in the taskbar and I have to reopen on almost every screen.

For me it crashes- that is the program closes abruptly and must be restarted to continue.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled it twice so far, but the same thing continues to happen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto.  Tried all those fixes including 2 hours with tech support.   The other big issue if you get to a point of filing is it crashes or shows an error during the gathering forms stage prior to printing or saving to a pdf. 

I was not particularly impressed with tech support.  It appears they read from a script and are not able to do much independent thinking.

Are you maximizing your TT after you open the software? Mine was also crashing after every few clicks. Then I opened TT, left it in its original window (not maximized) and I was able to complete my taxes without it crashing again. I am not sure why TT 2018 behaves this way, but it worked for me. Good luck.

Fascinating idea - will try this and let you know if it works for me. 

Clean Up3

Mine hasn't crashed or lagged, but Tech support seems to be reading from a scripted responses.  They could not give me any answers regarding exactly why my taxes were rejected, why I have to wait until March 17th to correct my W2 information???!!! and refile my taxes.  This was after the system reviewed and checked by information, and said my taxes were correct.  I no longer trust Turbo Tax !!!

Volta

NOT Resizing to Full Screen has WORKED like a champ to eliminate the continuous TT crashes.  I have now had TT up and running normally for 2+ hours.

I am using all of the current drivers for my video card (GeForce 970), so it appears that Intuit has a more fundamental issue.

Many thanks to the previous posters regarding this work-around.

I also note that with Intuit's new private equity owners, that no one from the company is monitoring or responding to this string.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies