Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trader Status

Is there a way to get Turbotax to apply a home office deduction for my side business as a sole proprietor/securities trader? Everything I've read says that a home office deduction should be listed on the Schedule C, but Turbotax doesn't apply it because there is no income listed (The income is on my personal Schedule D).

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Trader Status

A SCH C business can only claim a home office deduction, only if that business has the income on the SCH C to deduct the allowed costs from. If the SCH C business doesn't have the income, you can "claim" the home office. But no deduction can occur from zero business income reported on the SCH C.

Now a SCH C is for "earned" income. What I don't know, because I'm not a trader and don't know anyone who is, is if income from playing wall street is earned income, or passive income. My wild guess, based on no facts what-so-ever is that it's passive income. The only thing reported on SCH C is "earned" (sometimes referred to as active) income. That income would be paid to you in cash, or reported to you on a 1099-MISC box 7. That's pretty much all that counts for SCH C income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies