turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT-B Won't Save My Return: Unable to Proceed

I am using Turbo Tax for Business 2017...the CD version. I'm on Windows10 (up-to-date). I have used TT for my business for many years.

I am unable to save my file. When I select SAVE (or SAVE-AS) and then accept the default name that TT-B suggests, I get an error message saying "File not found. Check the file name and try again." Even if I change the filename to something simple ("TaxReturn"), I get the same error. TT-B seems to be looking for a file rather than trying to create a new one.

My program is up-to-date. I have tried saving to various locations with the same results. I have tried different file names. I have rebooted several times. I've tried running with no other programs running.

I'm dead-in-the-water!

Thanks for assistance.

-bs

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions

You might try asking in this other TurboTax message board, its got many more volunteers helping in there, someone may have seen this issue before.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

The problem is caused by a new security feature in the latest (and future) updates to Windows 10 called Controlled Folder Access. The feature is intended to protect against ransomware and other threats. To distinguish the difference between legitimate programs and malware, the user is required to provide a list of exceptions. In the absence of an exception, access will be blocked.

The solution is to either make TurboTax an allowed program or to turn the feature off completely.

Settings can be found in Windows 10 at: StartMenu, Settings, WindowsSecurity, VirusAndThreatProtection, VirusAndThreatProtectionSettings, ManageControlledFolderAccess

Problem solved.

-bs

View solution in original post

30 Replies

Just a thought.....Which folder does it show its trying to save to?  Could it be looking for a flash drive or storage device, rather than the harddrive to save to?

Nope. It's my standard hard drive. I'm able to choose different folders. It won't save in any folder.

-bs

Do you have an anti virus or Windows Defender running in the background maybe?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions

You might try asking in this other TurboTax message board, its got many more volunteers helping in there, someone may have seen this issue before.

Yes, defender is running....but the problem exists even when it's disabled.

The problem is caused by a new security feature in the latest (and future) updates to Windows 10 called Controlled Folder Access. The feature is intended to protect against ransomware and other threats. To distinguish the difference between legitimate programs and malware, the user is required to provide a list of exceptions. In the absence of an exception, access will be blocked.

The solution is to either make TurboTax an allowed program or to turn the feature off completely.

Settings can be found in Windows 10 at: StartMenu, Settings, WindowsSecurity, VirusAndThreatProtection, VirusAndThreatProtectionSettings, ManageControlledFolderAccess

Problem solved.

-bs

Katie
Returning Member

I'm having the same problem with TT Deluxe 2017 running Windows 10 and Defender.   I have an option to allow an app through Controlled folder access, but what do I add?  I am not finding a .exe  extension in the TurboTax/Deluxe 2017 folder.  Any suggestions?

Char M

Spent three hours on my return, and I can't save it. 

I found your so-called solution concerning "controlled folder access" in Windows 10, and implemented it … AND STILL CAN"T SAVE MY WORK.

Andrewtoo

Did you find a solution to the problem as I have the same thing. I want to submit my return and I cannot save my final version of the file.

Having the same problem with Turbo Tax Delux on Mac..File won't save-says to check file permissions and I have both read and write..still won't transmit e-file and I am not sure any work was saved...

Looks like this may be my last year for Turbo Tax.  Test before you release....

kbritt
Returning Member

Did you resolve this?  I'm having the same issue on my Mac.  It says to check the "Get Info" in the finder which I did and the file is not locked.  Permissions indicate thatI can read and write.  But still won't go through.  

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@kbritt

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/turbotax-for-mac-won-t-open-when-installed/00...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem with Turbo Tax.  I have spend days and days trying to save my file or sometimes getting it to open or print my file.  A coupe of things partially worked.  I can open and work on my file by creating another user on the Mac such as "test". This allowed me to access the file in TT and make corrections.  When I tried to save it said I don't have permission and my file was locked.  A screen poped up saying "save anyway"  that did save it.  That does work when you get to e-file however.  What worked for me was to save the file to the Desktop and then use that file to e-file.  It was a laborious and time consuming process that should never happen.  TT has not been able to resolve this for me.  😫 

I meant to say that does NOT work when you e-file.  .......

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies