turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nirajgtm

State tax for Michigan

Hi,

I am a resident of NY . I was in Michigan for work in last three months of 2018 (Oct, Nov, Dec) since my client is there. I didn't change my addresses and just stayed with a friend as a guest.  My W2 has my NY address, but should i file my tax for Michigan state as well ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

State tax for Michigan

Technically, yes ....

Do the MI return first and then NY

NY will provide a credit for whAt is due MI
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

State tax for Michigan

Yes, if you earned income in Michigan, you'll need to file a state return for MI. From what you describe, you would file as a nonresident of Michigan. Prepare that state return first, then NY, because NY will give you a tax credit for income tax paid to another state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax for Michigan

My daughter is a resident of Virginia, goes to college in Minnesota, and earns summer income in Michigan.  It appears that Turbotax doesn't allow me to input that she had $68 of Michigan state tax withheld from the summer paycheck--saying she owes Michigan another $50.  How can I tell whether Turbotax is giving her credit for the Michigan state tax that she paid?

Thanks!

TomD8
Level 15

State tax for Michigan

@Baseball_Enthusiast   Be sure you entered your daughter's W-2 correctly, including the Michigan taxes withheld (which should appear in Box 17 of the W-2).

Then, check Schedule W of your daughter's Michigan tax return to make sure the correct amount appears in Column E of Table 1.  https://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/Schedule_W_642230_7.pdf 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

State tax for Michigan

A brief message to the writer of the software for Michigan.   If you don't work in any city that requires a city tax, the bottom line should read...."I'm done with CITY take me to the STATE tax"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies