turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KC

State Return - Mass

I am supposed to get a free state tax return with my Premier and it is trying to charge me.   Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

State Return - Mass

You might want to read the box your TurboTax CD came in *very* carefully. Does it say you can *download* one state for free, or e-file one state for free? I use a different version, so I don't know what Premier users are allowed, but I do know that Intuit very quietly changed the rules about this feature recently.

They used to allow us to *e-file* FIVE federal and state returns using the same state software, without additional charge, if we bought the CD for $70 or $80. I do all my family's returns, which are mostly from one state, so this worked well for us. A few lower-income family members qualified for "Free Filing" through the TurboTax web site, where there was no state e-filing fee as long as the person qualified for free federal e-filing. Now, although TurboTax still makes this claim on the IRS web site, it is a complete falsehood that will only be discovered at the last step before transmitting the state tax return using the "Free Filing" interface. There it will say you can e-file your state tax return for "only" $24.99. Smooth move, Intuit. Way to hurt the guy who already hurts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies