turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sfnewton
Returning Member

Rental Property Installment Loan Revoked

I purchased a Commercial rental property in 2016 on installment. I rented the building to a gentlemen who ended up not paying rent, turned it into a lawsuit and I could not pay the loan so the installment was revoked in 2018 (I did not sell). How do I show this on my taxes? What do I follow through turbo tax to properly enter this event?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I need some more facts first, because if your purchase of the property wasn't done in accordance with state and other legal requirements, you may have a nightmare that requires professional help.

- Were loan papers generated showing that you were purchasing the property on installments?

- Was your name on the property deed as the owner, with the "lender" (person you were paying installments to) listed as a lienholder on that deed?

- Did the person you were paying installments to go through the formal and legal foreclosure process? Or did you execute a "quit claim deed" (or similar) in lieu of foreclosure?

sfnewton
Returning Member

Yes all of the above were done including the legal foreclosure process. Everything from start to finish was done through attorneys

sfnewton
Returning Member

@CarlCan you please help with this? I still haven't figured it out

Carl
Level 15

I think I can help here. @sfnewton was the foreclosure completed and finalized on or before Dec 31 of 2019?

When you say "installment loan" I am assuming this was a seller financed loan and no third party mortgage lender was involved. If that assumption is wrong, you have to let me know because it matters.

sfnewton
Returning Member

@Carlyes the foreclosure was completed before Dec 2019 and yes you are correct. It was a seller financed loan

Thanks for getting back to me

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies