turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DonV218

Purchasing Turbo Tax for a second State

I have the Premier version of 2017 Turbo Tax with State returns. I am a New York State resident. This year I'm doing my sister's return for her and she now lives in North Carolina. After completing her Federal return, I continued to her state return. But the software is prompting me to buy the North Carolina state version for $44.95. This seems quite high. Do I have other options to complete her return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

(for 2017 done in 2019)

Not really......With the desktop software you get a free download and use of 1 state for free, but a different state cost $45 (for that year...who knows what it will be in subsequent years).

Your only options, outside of that , is to not file her state using the software, but get the 2017 PDF/paper downloads from the NC DORev website and fill out manually:  

https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax/individual-income-tax-forms-instructions

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
jjs6200
Returning Member

Does anyone know if this $45 for a second state also allows you to efile in that second state 'for free'?  Meaning, the $45 cost includes the tax prep but also the efile??

1) for the "Online" software, the $45 includes the e-file.  But you can only e-file one time.

2) For the "Desktop/Download" software, the $45 does not include the state e-file charge (now $25 each time each state is e-filed).   But you can print and mail file the state for free (Well...the cost of your paper and postage)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies