turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Zuser

Pension Distribution into Traditional IRA and Roth IRA. How to enter properly into TurboTax

I chose to take my portion of pension contributions out via a distribution in 2017.  Since the amounts represented my contributions it contained portions that were both taxed (my excess contributions) and non taxed (required for pension participation).  When I took the distributions I rolled the non taxable portion into a traditional IRA and I took the after tax portion and rolled them into a Roth IRA.    Since the Roth portion had already been taxed using after tax dollars, how do I show this correctly when I am filing in Turbo Tax for 2017.  it is not a recharacterization or contribution.  but a rollover over of after tax pension into a Roth IRA.  Thanks for your help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Pension Distribution into Traditional IRA and Roth IRA. How to enter properly into TurboTax

Your headline reads "HSA..." but I don't see HSA anywhere in the question body.

It's probably just as well, since you are allowed only one rollover from an IRA to an HSA in a lifetime, and you aren't allowed a rollover to an HSA from any qualified plan ever.

Zuser

Thanks for the message.  I'm actually not sure why it was classified HSA vs. IRA vs. Roth.  My original subject was Pension Distribution to IRA and Roth IRA.

@BMcCalpinwrote:

Your headline reads "HSA..." but I don't see HSA anywhere in the question body.

It's probably just as well, since you are allowed only one rollover from an IRA to an HSA in a lifetime, and you aren't allowed a rollover to an HSA from any qualified plan ever.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies