Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PIN; Need to enter IRS assigned PIN

IRS assigned me a six digit PIN.  I need to enter this to file, but where?  Everything here says under Federal taxes, "Other Tax Situations" or under Personal, "Other Tax Situations".  Neither exist.  We are coming up on tax deadline.  Does anyone at TurboTax read these things?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

If you are using TurboTax Online, try these steps to help you enter the IP PIN. I'll give you two ways to get there in the online software. It looks like the steps you are finding may be for the desktop version of the software instead of online version.

First, try this:

• Click Search in the top right corner of your screen (near Help)
  • Type in IP PIN and hit enter
  • Then click on Jump to IP PIN
  • Select Yes there and enter the PIN 

Second way: 

• Click Federal to the left side of the screen
  • Then Other Tax Situations at the top under the Search box in top right corner
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info section
  • Click Start (or revisit) there next to  Identity Protection PIN

If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download desktop software (installed on your computer), use these steps:

• Open the software 
  • Click Federal Taxes then Other Tax Situations directly below that tab
  • Scroll down and click Start next to Identity Protection PIN there

Other Info:

I followed instructions to enter 6 digit PIN. However when I went back to Smart Check area it is still looking for 5 digit PIN. Im going in circles. Unable to submit taxes. Can someone help? 

A 5 digit pin is your electronic filing pin.  It is something different then the six digit IP PIN.  Return to the File tab and proceed back through those screens and you should be prompted to enter the filing pin.

I would like for the software to prompt me to enter the federal PIN number. We were breached a few years ago and someone filed for a federal tax refund before we filed our taxes, so the IRS set us up with a 6 digit PIN for filing electronically. The problem is the software never prompted me to enter the PIN prior to submitting our taxes, so our filing was rejected at the state and federal level. We had to file an amended return manually, which takes FOREVER to process. With all of the other helpful prompts in the TurboTax software it would great if they added this to next year's build. A simple "Do you have a federal PIN number to enter to file your return electronically?" would be fantastic. 

Unc1979

Please back to profile back then I will put pin for irs 

They say assign me one, I don't have it.  How do I retrieve it. 

Need help retrieve

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Most taxpayers don't need an IP PIN — the IRS only issues them in select cases.   If the IRS has issued you an IP PIN, you must enter the PIN or you won't be able to e-file.   If they did not issue you an IP PIN (most taxpayers), you can skip this section.   If you already filed and were rejected for not entering your PIN, then you were issued one and will need to retrieve it before you can e-file.   It was sent out to you in 2020 on a CP01A notice.  

If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days)

We're unable to issue IP PINs and you won't find them on your tax paperwork. You can only get IP PINs from the IRS.   @Ogcasper

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies