turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Options to bring down AGI?

I received Health care subsidy for 2018 as I thought it would be my Taxable Income that would be used to determine eligibility for the health care subsidy. I just found out that it is my AGI that would be used to determine eligibility. So I'm about $20K above the AGI required to qualify.

What are my options to reduce my AGI by $20K by April 15th?

Thanks for any help provided!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Please look at this Schedule 1. Lines 23-35 reduce AGI. You won't be able to reduce your AGI by 20K, unfortunately. However, see if the IRA contributions will help a little (if you qualify to make a contribution).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Please look at this Schedule 1. Lines 23-35 reduce AGI. You won't be able to reduce your AGI by 20K, unfortunately. However, see if the IRA contributions will help a little (if you qualify to make a contribution).

Thanks!.

If I make charity donation before April 15th, 2019, Can I deduct that on my 2018 Tax Return? Or only charity doantions made in 2018 can be deducted on 2018 Tax Return?

MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, unfortunately, charitable contributions will not lower your AGI.  First, because the charitable contributions lower taxable income and have nothing to do with the AGI. If you look at the Schedule 1 link I sent you, they are not listed there. And only items listed on lines 23-35 will lower your AGI. Secondly, the contributions must be made in 2018 in order to reduce your taxable income for the 2018 tax year, on the 2018 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies