turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JoeC
Returning Member

MISC income non business

For many years past, I had one MISC form for a partial reimbursement for my long term care premiums. It was and is not a business expense and never had to fill out a form C. I am at a loss how to not make it a business expense.

Under "Wages and Income"-->"1099-MISC and other common income"--->"Income from form 1099-MISC" I have the correct reimbursement amount of $250. However, under "Business Items"_"Business Income and Expenses (From C)" I also have $250. Need to delete this Form C amount and keep the 1099-MISC amount.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

MISC income non business

Report the reimbursement on line 21 of your 1040 as other income. Under the income section, select Less Common Income, Miscellaneous Income then Other Reportable Income. Enter a description (1099-MISC reimbursement) and amount. This will report the 1099-MISC reimbursement as income. Then repeat the steps to record the same amount as a negative number to effectively cancel it out.

Delete the schedule C if it does not pertain to a business that you had.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
frustrated
Returning Member

MISC income non business

Good luck!  I tried deleting the Schedule C and TT put it back in.

JoeC
Returning Member

MISC income non business

Deleted the 250 in the MISC question (have no entries in that now). Added 250 to "other income". Looked ok from that standpoint. Printed out all the forms and no "C" in there. Looked good. Said to transmit email. Got message saying "transmitting". After that, got the "one more question" and resulted in need to fill out form C! then can transmit the forms. In a catch 22 now. Forms said they were transmitting then since no way to fill out the unnecessary C form told that not transmitted. Have tried the steps 4 times now. Hope the forms were not really transmitted 4 times! Anyway, what is going on here. Did the forms get transmitted or not?

This is the worst version of TTAX I have seen in the decades using this product. Sad. The other thing that has now occurred is being charge for the one State tax. This just started sometime after the 4 attempts were made.

JoeC
Returning Member

MISC income non business

With the excellent help from a support member the problem is resolved. Basically, it is what PaulaM suggested. Deleted my MISC entry in the "1099-MISC..... >income from 1099-MISC" and added it to "less common income>miscellaneous income" with the description "1099-MISC reimbursement". This should have fixed problem; however, still was calling for a form C to be completed. Solution was to go to the last verify screen before "transmit efile...". Click upper right requesting list of documents. Scroll down left side list to see if a form C shows up. If it does, delete it. Then transmit efile. Appears that once you enter the MISC data in the 1099-MISC field, some kind of "flag" (my terminology) is set that a form C is required. This remains even if subsequently, the MISC form is deleted from the field. Notice that there are some updates available. Maybe that situation is being fixed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies