turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to force a recalculation

I've just now changed a LOT of numbers in my 2017 return.  The tax owed didn't change and I'm sure it should have.  Is there a key combination or something that forces a recalculation, like alt-R ?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

There's no recalculate key combination. TurboTax recalculates automatically. You can always step through the interview again and check for errors, but it is possible that the items you changed did not affect you tax liability.

Amazing that I'm just seeing this in July, AND I have the same problem -- I exited and updated Turbo Tax and re-opened the form with new data that should have triggered new tax liability and still no change. What's wrong and how do I fix it?

Have you gone through the interview section where you changed data screen by screen in sequence?

SpicyFriedCat
Returning Member

Also hitting this issue. If anybody knows how to get Intuit's **bleep** software to enable you to get your state refund to not be taxed, I'd love to hear it. Guaranteed max refund my foot.

In 2017......

if you itemized, the refund is taxable in 2018

If you took the standard deduction, it’s not taxable

Does that explain your situation?

SpicyFriedCat
Returning Member

I was hit by AMT, so despite itemizing, I believe it's not taxable.

Either way, TurboTax doesn't seem to even ask at this point about taxable or not. I skipped it once, and now re-entering the 1099-G just assumes it's taxable. I need to inform TurboTax's software that it's not taxable.

If you used TT last year and pulled forward the data, TT is smart enough to know if you received a state refund last year and if you itemized , hence there is no reason for TT to ask about it

Did you receive any AMT deduction in 2018? TT should also be smart enough to offset that state refund income with a credit .look at Form 6251; do you see the state refund offset on line 2b of this form?

Remember that Regular tax reporting and AMT tax reporting are two separate worlds.  For Regular reporrting, the state refund is taxable (because it was a deduction in Regular tax world last year). For AMT reporting it's a deduction from line 10 of form 6251 because it was an addition last year.

is that what is occurring? I suspect it is or should be.  I tested it in Turbo Tax Deluxe and it works as described above 

SpicyFriedCat
Returning Member

I was not hit by AMT this year, so no form 6251.

look in Forms View (Desktop version) and search for the form.  Is the tax refund on form 6251 as I suggested?

and then look at Form 8801; it's a lot of math but the intent is to provide a credit due to the situation you describe.  if line 18 is positive, there should be a credit; if negative, there is no adjustment 

it is very challenging to understand the complexities of Regular taxes and AMT, but unless you want to delve into all the math, it's correct. 

SpicyFriedCat
Returning Member

Yeah, I don't have 6251 or 8801 on either last year's or this year's return. My guess is they automatically did the math, but I have my doubts that it's correct based on advice on my company's internal mailing lists. Everybody else is claiming the same situation is non-taxable.

it you don't have Form 6251 on last year's tax return that would suggest you didn't pay AMT.  T

THAT is the critical form used to calculate whether you owe the higher of Regular or AMT tax. 

and if it isn't there, then the state refunds is taxabler income this year (assuming you itemized last year)

go back to the 2017 Form 1040 and look at line 45. if it is blank you did not pay AMT last year.  If it is not blank, there HAS TO BE a Form 6251

what version of TT are you using? Online or Desktop? 

SpicyFriedCat
Returning Member

Online.

I figured out that deleting my 1099-G from online and then re-adding it only brought up the screen to determine if it's taxable if I left the 1099-G entry page. Hopefully this helps somebody else hitting this issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies