Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter a very long Payer name from a 1099-R

In a page where 1099-R information is entered, the Payer name I'm entering is about 9 words, averaging about 7 letters each. On the 1099-R form, the name soft wraps onto a second line, i.e., it is a single long name; not a main business and then sub organization. I can enter the entire name in the Payer Name field, although about half of it is not visible on my screen. There is also the other Payer Name (Continued) field, which I could use for placing roughly half of the long name into, but the instructions state to "Enter the information exactly as it appears (on the 1099-R)". I'm not sure which route to take. thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AJ
Level 6

With regard to entering data as instructed, I make absolutely certain that I enter accurate digits for the PAYER'S federal identification number.  The text field for the PAYER'S name is not as important than the Federal ID number.  If the IRS has the Federal ID number, then they know the name.  I have seen many 1099-Rs go through the IRS system with PAYER'S names that are only close but not an exact match. I enter what the line wants to hold and don't worry about the rest.  Of course be sure to enter all other numbers accurately--close is not good enough for those fields. 

pckeekus

Mine also errored out during the State Review and even though it shows you a worksheet form, it gives you no way to change it, it doesn't even indicate what the maximum number of characters is for your state. In my opinion, TurboTax should just truncate the name for each state entry or work with States to increase the field size so this is no longer an issue. It has been like this for years, get it done!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies