turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rs_27

How do I mail my tax return? Will USPS Flat Rate Envelope be fine?

I can't e-file this year so I have to mail my return and pay with checks too. I did everything in the app and printed out everything so now I just need to know how to ship these papers. The instructions say the deadline is on April 17th so would that mean I can mail them anytime before then? Do I need any special stamps or can I just print out postage and go with priority mail flat rate envelope? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

As long as your envelope is post marked before or on April 17th you will be fine and it will not be counted late.  And yes you can use a regular stamp and envelope to mail your return to the IRS.

Yes, you can mail anytime before April 17th, but I would highly suggest you mail your return via certified mail.  Anytime you mail any documents to the IRS (or any federal agency), you want to have an official record of your mailing and to ensure that it was received and acknowledged - its well worth the extra money if there was ever an issue with the receipt of your documents (especially when you owe money as the penalties for not filing and paying can apply).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies