turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1040T

1040T shows 48K in box 2 and 46K in box 5.  Why when it asks what portion was used for room and board, the higher the amount entered, the more my tax goes up?  Why should anything on form 1040T make my tax go up?  I thought it was for the purpose of claiming a deduction or credit.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 1040T

Room and board is not a qualified education expense, so any scholarship money earmarked for that purpose becomes taxable. If the scholarship was used entirely for tuition and fees, do not designate any of it for room and board.

View solution in original post

Form 1040T

Box 2 reports amounts of qualified expenses billed by the school (not what was actually paid - it's up to you to verify that the same amount was actually paid). It's not unusual for that to be greater than a scholarship amount. Compare amounts to billing statements provided by the school.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Form 1040T

Room and board is not a qualified education expense, so any scholarship money earmarked for that purpose becomes taxable. If the scholarship was used entirely for tuition and fees, do not designate any of it for room and board.

Form 1040T

Why is box 2 greater than box 5

Form 1040T

Box 2 reports amounts of qualified expenses billed by the school (not what was actually paid - it's up to you to verify that the same amount was actually paid). It's not unusual for that to be greater than a scholarship amount. Compare amounts to billing statements provided by the school.

Form 1040T

Thanks so much !!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies