Filing Jointly in Two States

We are planning a move to Florida for family based reasons. We are currently living in one state working. My wife had moved down to Florida as of Oct 2018 (it's her side of the family) while I work on trying to land a job before moving. I am still working but she has not worked all year. That being the case since there's no Florida Income to claim, can I just file her for a whole year of our current state or must I file State separate from my wife?

1 Comment

Filing Jointly in Two States

Yes, that's fine to file her the entire year in your state, as long as she has not "established" residency yet.  Since it was a short amount of the year that she was there, you should be fine.  Some things that may impact whether or not she established residency would be purchasing a primary residence, changing her driver's license, legally filing papers to establish a domocile there, etc.