turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

genes12

Filing 2016

I have tried to file my 2017 taxes but got a rejection due to needing a 2016 AGI.  I dont think my 2016 taxes went through using Turbo tax.  How do I file my 2016 taxes to get my AGI?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Filing 2016

First, if your taxes were never filed, then you should just use "0" for your 2016 AGI in order to file your 2017 tax return.

Next, if you need to file your 2016 return and you did start one in TurboTax - follow these instructions here 

If you started a 2014, 2015, or 2016 return in TurboTax Online but couldn't file it before the shutdown, start by purchasing the TurboTax CD/Download software and installing it on your computer. Window instructions | Mac instructions

Don't forget to also download and install the appropriate state program(s), if your return includes one or more states. Windows instructions | Mac instructions

Then, follow these steps to finish your online return in the TurboTax software program:

1. Download the .tax file for your prior-year return  (not the PDF) and save it on your computer. We recommend saving to your desktop for ease of retrieval.
  2. Open your TurboTax software program, select Find a Tax File, and then browse to the tax data file you downloaded in Step 1. Select the file and click Open.
  3. You can now finish your return. You'll need to paper-file, as e-filing for prior years is no longer available.

Note: TurboTax software for tax year 2013 and earlier is no longer available for purchase.

GORDONDERMAN
Returning Member

Filing 2016

THANK YOU!!! - TOMORROW i WILL TRY TO RE-CONSTRUCT -   GORDON DERMAN

Filing 2016

@GORDONDERMAN   You posted to a very old thread that migrated over when they changed to this forum from the previous user forum.  Although the response above has a recent date, as you can see, it refers to an earlier tax year and is really an old response from several years ago--when they made the change to this forum the old answers came with recent dates--which is confusing to users.

What is your actual question--and what tax year is it about?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies