turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Tax paid from 2017 income

I applied for a tax withholding for 2016 Federal tax payment in late December. Usually my IRA custodian takes only a day or two to do this, but it wasn't withheld until Jan 4 2017, but the money was recorded as paying taxes for 2016.  It did NOT show up on my 2016 income, but shows up on my 2017 1099-R. 

Nowhere does this payment of 2016 taxes show up in the usual "guide me through" in my 2017 return, and this results in substantial extra taxes being due for 2017, because I based the withholding for 2017 on the amount of tax I paid in 2016. 

How do I show this amount being paid from 2017 income on the 2017 1040 and other forms?

Comments appreciated.  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have to admit that I don't understand your question.

You took a distribution from your IRA in 2016 and asked that X amount be withheld, right? And then that amount of withholding mistakenly shows up on your 2017 1099-R?

Why should this payment of 2016 taxes show up on your 2017 return? And doesn't it, if it is on a 2017 1099-R? And why are extra taxes due in 2017 if this 2016 tax payment showed up in 2017?

Please clarify this for me.

informed from turbo tax my refund of 1000.00 had been approved. - while checking within the hour my re fund of 750.00 (to be deposited into my checking account) don't understand the refund difference nor do i see any indication of a refund

no can I  continue this tomorrow ?  I'm saying i received a distribution from my IRA in 2017 and l000.00 was withheld.  When my taxes were filed i was informed my refund would be 1000.00. When i asked earlier today my refund was stated of being 752.00 of which i have not received anything (not1000.00 or 752.00) will try later this weekend  to communicate with you) do i get a continuation reply code to finish or do i start all over again?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies