Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Dual Status - itemized deduction 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR

Hello guys,


I really hope you can help me.


I worked in the US for more than 5 years (so I am a resident the last year, 2017).


2017 I worked in the US from Jan-Aug, after that I left the country and now live in Germany.


So I have to file a dual-status resident tax as far as I know.


I now wanted to use 1040-NR-EZ, however it says I can't use the standard deduction but have to use the itemized deduction system and for that I have to use the 1040 form right?


So now I am confused what to use....


Can someone help me and tell me what to file?


Thanks so much for you help



1 Comment
Employee TurboTax Specialist

Dual Status - itemized deduction 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR

As a dual-status alien, you'll prepare two tax returns:

  1. A Form 1040 for the time you lived in the U.S. in 2017, and
  2. A Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) for the time you lived outside the U.S. in 2017.


Form 1040NR-EZ is a simplified and somewhat limited form, and you'll only be able to use it if you meet certain requirements (click here for details). Regarding your confusion about deductions, a nonresident cannot take the standard deduction. If you use the 1040NR-EZ it limits your itemized deductions to state and local income taxes. You'll need to use Form 1040NR if you have other deductions, such as unreimbursed employee expenses.



While you may use TurboTax to prepare your resident return (Form 1040), you'll need to use Sprintax to prepare your nonresident return (Form 1040NR). Note: You cannot e-file your dual-status return.



For more information, please see Taxation of Dual-Status Aliens.