turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jarroyo24
Returning Member

Do I qualify for child tax credit?

My girlfriend and I split, and she moved out with my daughter on November 2018. Before that, they both lived with me for more than six months. I was paying the rent, utilities, and the basic necessities, as well as having my daughter on my health insurance for the first six months of the year before losing my job. I was basically head of the household (except for the month of October, the only month she paid for the rent). After filing my taxes for 2018, today she tells me she put our daughter for CTC on her taxes as well. I'm wondering if I would be the one to get the CTC since they both lived with me for the majority of the year while I paid the living expenses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If there is no legal documents (divorce, parenting etc) then it’s kind of a free for all and whoever (of the two parents) submits their taxes first with the child’s info.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The child can only be claimed by one parent. If your former girlfriend claimed the Child Tax Credit (CTC) and your daughter as a dependent (a requirement for the child tax credit), then for you to claim daughter/CTC you will need to complete your tax return and mail a paper return (you won't be able to efile). 

Then the IRS will become involved and send letters to you both to sort out who the dependent/CTC belongs to. Be certain to document that you are eligible to claim your child as a dependent and the CTC, and answer the IRS letter.

See  the links below to check your eligibility for both.

Who can I claim as my dependent?

Do I qualify for the Child Tax Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies