Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor II

Cap Gains / Div in a foreign bank

I am a US citizen and resident, and I own a brokerage account with a Bank located abroad (Italy, my native country). I usually report the foreign bank account but this year I have some dividends and gains (and some taxes I paid).


How do I report the capital gains / losses, dividends, taxes paid there?

In particular in which section of Turbotax questionnaire you can specify these items?

1 Comment
TurboTax Specialist

Cap Gains / Div in a foreign bank

Report your foreign dividends, gains, losses, and foreign taxes in the appropriate section of TurboTax, even if you did not receive a tax document.  For example, you will report your dividends in the "Interest and Dividends" section.  You will report your investment sales in the "Investment Income" section.  You can include the foreign taxes paid that pertain to the investment income in the corresponding section as well.  The foreign tax information will then flow to Form 1116.  Here you will be prompted to answer questions about the foreign taxes you paid.


For additional information, see TurboTaxMargaretL's excellent response to a similar question below.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.