turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gtninmo

Can I deduct health insurance premiums if I'm reimbursed for them by my HRA?

I pay healthcare insurance premiums with after tax dollars.  My former employer (I'm retired) funds an HRA that I can use to be reimbursed for any qualified medical expenses, including healthcare insurance premiums.  Are my healthcare insurance premiums deductible?    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Since funds in the health retirement arrangement (HRA) were pre-tax, you cannot deduct them as a medical expense on your tax return as this would be double-dipping.  

gtninmo

Thanks.  I found what appears to be the answer I was looking for in IRS Publication 502, page 17.  Since the HRA is funded solely by my former employer, I can't deduct premiums for which I'm reimbursed by the HRA.

You are correct that having reimbursed yourself for the insurance premiums from your pre-tax HRA, you cannot also deduct these expenses on Schedule A.

"HRAs are funded solely through employer contributions and may not be funded through employee salary deferrals under a cafeteria plan. These contributions aren’t included in the employee's income. You don’t pay federal income taxes or employment taxes on amounts your employer contributes to the HRA." Page 17 of IRS Pub 969".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies