turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I contribute to my HSA plan if I'm under my wife's HDHP insurance?

Hi,

I just got married recently, and am in the process of selecting the insurance for myself & my wife post the "life event". I am interested in signing up for a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) & using an HSA along with it (I already have an HSA in my name from before the wedding).

My wife's employer offers better insurance plans, so I want to enroll for myself + my wife under her employer's HDHP. But my income is higher than that of my wife, so I want to contribute to the HSA in my name so as to maximize savings.

(1) Is it possible for me to contribute to an HSA account in my name, if I am covered by my wife's HDHP insurance (through her employer)? -- We are looking to file 2018 returns as "married, filing separate"

(2) Will the 2018 HSA contribution limit for us be $6900, or will it be prorated based on the date of marriage?

Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

See https://turbotaxcommunity.com/t5/Other-Financial-Discussions/Can-I-contribute-to-my-HSA-plan-if-I-m-... which as of today, is the absolute latest information available as released by the IRS directly.

"We are looking to file 2018 returns as "married, filing separate""

That will cut your allowed annual deductible contribution to your HSA in half if your HDHP is a family plan. Note that for a married couple to file separate is the absolute worst way to file tax-wise. When you file separate returns, you automatically lose quite a lot of deductions you would otherwise qualify for filing joint.

Thanks Carl. I'm assuming you wanted to add some other link to the reply. The link currently in your post takes me back to my original question. Thanks!

Carl
Level 15

My bad. Was under the wrong tab when I copied the link. 🙂

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/2018-hsa-contribution-limit-for-individuals-with-family-hdhp-coverage.

I "think" that's the link. I pulled it from my browser history, so fingers crossed. 🙂

Thanks for the reply Carl.

The link you shared refers to the $6900 contribution limit, but doesn't address my issue. Assuming this isn't the link you were referring to, can you please share the correct link when you get a chance?

Thanks for your time!

Does anyone have the answer to the original question? Can a married couple who are covered under the one of the spouse's HDHP family plan, both contribute to their own HSAs? Assuming they don't have any other insurance coverage and keep the total contributions under the IRS limit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies