turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

km88
Returning Member

Can I claim childcare if i am not hoh and not claiming dependents

My boyfriend and I live together which we share 2 kids with one another. Since we are not married I am filing single and he files HOH, to which he claims both kids for the tax credit. We both work so we both file, he just makes more. I was told by a different tax company, who we will not be filing with because it was way more expensive that anticipated, that he can claim both children and I should claim the childcare credit since I pay the daycare costs for both kids. 

Is he allowed to claim them as dependents and me claim the childcare credit? I have all the proof that the childcare comes out of my account.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Can I claim childcare if i am not hoh and not claiming dependents

No, if your boyfriend is claiming the children on his tax return you cannot claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit. When parents live together only one parent may claim the child(ren) for all benefits. Since your boyfriend is claiming the children he may claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit if he qualifies.

Note: When parents are divorced, separated, or live apart, there is a special rule that lets the custodial parent give permission to the noncustodial parent to claim the child as a dependent and for the Child Tax Credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies