turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jan
Level 2

2014 app crashes, will not run

I need to access my 2014 return and tried to open it with the 2014 Turbo Tax Premier app, the same software I used to create the return. The app would not run unless I updated it, which I did. Now it crashes. Still cannot access my 2014 return.

Iʻm using a Mac w/ the latest OS.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Jan
Level 2

An Intuit support person was able to help me solve the issue. She directed me to a patch which I downloaded from the Intuit site and applied through a terminal command. She walked me through the process on the phone. After applying the patch, the 2014 TT app ran on my Mac and I was able to access my return. The patch is not referenced anywhere on the Intuit site as far as I could see, so it is necessary to work through phone support.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Netguru

I am having the same problem.

Jan
Level 2

An Intuit support person was able to help me solve the issue. She directed me to a patch which I downloaded from the Intuit site and applied through a terminal command. She walked me through the process on the phone. After applying the patch, the 2014 TT app ran on my Mac and I was able to access my return. The patch is not referenced anywhere on the Intuit site as far as I could see, so it is necessary to work through phone support.

I'm having the same issue w/2014 however, the support person couldn't find any such patch. She bumped it up to a super who was of no help. I'm stuck and looking at a deadline. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbo Tax 2014 desktop software is not longer supported, as it has been retired. If you need your 2014 tax return information, you can request a transcript or a copy of your return on the IRS Get Transcript site, in which you would not have to pay. Keep in mind you will need to create an account with the IRS, which is free to do!

If you prefer to have a copy of your complete federal tax return from the IRS, you can request it using this Request form. For a $50 fee.

This bug applies to 2015 as well. You have loyal customers for years on end. The least you could do is have a download/patch page that doesn't disappear every other year with a new broken link.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

TurboTax provides service to file and/or amend within the 3 years of the original due date.

If you filed and need a copy of an old return, please request that though the IRS. 

Additionally, you should keep a copy of your tax return with your other important documents, in a safe and secure place. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is appalling that Intuit REFUSES to allow access to the patch that will allow 2014 and 2015 versions to run. 

The three-year limit is arbitrary, inappropriate and a hindrance under a wide variety of circumstances.

I guess it is easy to treat customers terribly when you have a complete monopoly on bad tax software.

Yes, so true...my 2015 version won't run either. It's none of Intuit's business why I need to access it, but there are a variety of circumstances that can arise.

This is especially infuriating since it appears patches are available which they are no longer willing to share.

Has anyone else had any luck with getting a patch for 2014 or 2015??  Can't get mine to run either, but my situation is a little different.  I don't need my returns or have to amend my own....I'm trying to actually file a return for a deceased family member.  I really don't want to do it by hand, but sounds like it's my only option.  I got the 2013 version to work with no problem.  Anyone that has any ideas....I'd be most grateful.

Turbotax doesn't support programs that old ... only 2017 and newer.   SO since you cannot update them they are useless. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

even the 2013 app may not produce the same results as the original fully updated program because the app is the same as the 2012 program with some minor updates. 

Apple made a change in the OSX 10.13.3 update that caused an *Apple* java function to crash when reading a Java script that TurboTax used in 2014 and 2015.  That was a Apple problem and not TurboTax but Apple has never fixed that.    TurboTax at one time has a fix script to remove that java scrip but now that 2014 and 2015 are no longer supported they have deleted that script.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

On 10/14/23 I was able to get both Turbotax Home & Business 2014 and 2015 to work on my Mac by booting up on an old hard drive that has Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra). I thought to try this when I read the post by macuser_22 that stated, "Apple made a change in the OSX 10.13.3 update that caused an *Apple* java function to crash when reading a Java script that TurboTax used in 2014 and 2015.  That was a Apple problem and not TurboTax but Apple has never fixed that.    TurboTax at one time has a fix script to remove that java scrip but now that 2014 and 2015 are no longer supported they have deleted that script." Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra) was prior to that Java update, and was able to run both the Turbotax 2014 and 2015 versions.

were 2014 and 2015 already installed, if you reinstalled them, it may not matter 2014 and 2015 versions cannot be updated and are no longer supported. the crash may be due to the states no longer being available or some issue with the OS.  so were you to open the tax files with the reinstalled apps you would likely change the returns from what was filed

if you have the 2014 and 2015 tax files, at your own risk, because Turbotax does not support using them, you can email the file to Taxprinters.com and for a fee they print out the federal and if requested state returns

https://www.taxprinter.com/ 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies