Visitor I

1099-misc not self employeed

I received a 1099 not from my employer but I am not self employed. Long story short - I sell warranties and that company gives me gift cards for certain contests or incentives and after I made so much in gift cards they had to send me a 1099 to claim it on my taxes. So it’s not from my employer but I’m not self employed and it’s wanting me to put in a business name and address and all of that. How should I file it?

Also, my husband is a local cop and works security at a church on Sunday’s. It’s an “overtime detail” through the Pd but the church pays him with a check. They don’t collect taxes so they sent us a 1099. Same thing with him, it’s not a business, it’s an overtime detail, how should I file?
1 Comment
Tax Expert

1099-misc not self employeed

If the 1099-MISC has box 7 entries, then the IRS considers this self-employment income and you are in business for yourself. Record each 1099-MISC under a schedule C for your 'business'. You can use your name, SSN and address for the business. You may not consider yourself self-employed, but this is how it is recorded for tax purposes.

The net income will be subject to self-employment taxes (SE) but you also receive a deduction for 1/2 of the taxes as an adjustment to income. This means that you will not be paying anymore taxes than you would had each of you been a W-2 employee. You just would have been paying your share of SS evenly throughout the year, instead of all at once.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.