Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CR

1099-R not showing up on 1040 form

I received a Notice CP2000 from the IRS stating I did not enter a 1099-R into my 2016 income and that I owed additional tax on that amount. I went back to my Turbo Tax and saw that it was entered, however, the taxable amount did not show up on my 1040 form. However, when I removed the 1099-R entry from Turbo Tax my taxes went down, so it looks like I paid tax on the 1099-R even though it did not show up on the 1040 form.

How do I get this resolved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099-R not showing up on 1040 form

Aloha,

(I see this question was also posted in 2018 by Matt. Here is my experience; I still have the same question.)

I have had this problem several times, the last occurence was for 2016. I've used TurboTax for many years and am familiar with the program. I also went back through my return, changing the way I entered the 1099-R and seeing how it affected my results. TurboTax flagged or corrected my intentional errors. Last year I placed a question on the forum and several people responded; however, they didn't seem to understand the issue, which is that TurboTax is not sending the 1099-R form in with the electronic return. Then my question disappeared from the forum.

Following is the text of my newest question (I had to restate it a few times to get the program to accept and post it.) In the meantime, all I can think to do is to file a paper return. CP2000 notices have always been wrong in my case, but they cause me hours of wasted time writing the disagreement letter and resending documentation.

"My TurboTax return (filed electronically) in past years did not include the 1099 form for a federal government retirement annuity, even though I entered the information into the program. As a result, I've received several CP2000 notices from the IRS. Each time this happens, I need to write them a letter and send them copies of my return and documentation. 

This year, I am thinking of filing a paper return in order to avoid this issue. 

I had a question on the community forum last year about this; however, it disappeared shortly after I posted it and received a few answers. The responders didn't seem to understand that I entered the form and the information into the program, but somehow the 1099 form itself did not reach the IRS."

"Should I file a paper return this year; because for several of the past years, my 1099 federal annuity form did not get sent to the IRS, even though I entered the information into the program and it showed on my return? Will there be a way to ensure TurboTax includes my copy of the 1099 form, or should I file a paper return in order to avoid more CP2000 notices?"

"Will there be a way to ensure TurboTax includes a copy of the 1099 federal retirement annuity form with my electronic return, or should I file a paper return in order to avoid more CP2000 notices that require hours of letter writing and mailing of documentation?"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies