turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turbotax self-employed - spouse ssn supporting on business forms

I filed joint taxes for me and my spouse using turbotax self-employed. He is listed with the self employed business.  When I entered our information, name, birthday, ssn, I put myself first. On the tax forms my name and ssn comes first for our joint filings. His name and SSN is the only  one on the the schedule c which is good. However, on the Form 4797 Sales of Business Property, and on the, Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization, which states it relates the schedule c, my name is first with my SSN.

Will this cause problems for us? Is there anyway to change the order our names appears while keeping the information tied to our names? I had tried to change it but all my job information was listed under his name and his was listed under mine. 

This is our 2nd year with turbo tax so it was filed that last year too.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

turbotax self-employed - spouse ssn supporting on business forms

This won't cause you any problems. The actual depreciation computed on Form 4562 flows to Schedule C, which will reduce your husband's Self-Employment tax. The gain or loss on Form 4797 for the sale of business property winds up on line 6 of your 1040, to be combined with the rest of your income. So the only important thing is that your husband's name and Social Security number is associated with the Schedule C, for his Self-Employment tax, and for his future Social Security benefits. 

I wouldn't even try to switch the names and Socials in your TurboTax account. It will switch the incomes around, as you have noticed. The only way to do that, if you really wanted to, would be to start a brand new account with your husband's name first. And it's really unnecessary.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies